All of us at Care Plus are deeply saddened, concerned, and heartbroken the by the events in Newtown, CT.
While the facts have not been completely collected, nor has the assailant's motive fully emerged, many accounts are currently pointing to a pattern of symptoms of mental illness. This tragedy - and others before it such as Columbine, Virginia Tech, Aurora, and Tucson - are all very sad examples of a breakdown in our systems and our society
• Systems that allow automatic assault weapons to be purchased and carried;
• Systems that limit access to mental health care;
• And a society that stigmatizes those who do seek help.
As a provider of mental health care in Northern New Jersey, we recognize the need for access to care that is unencumbered by stigma or lack of insurance. And we're working tirelessly to provide both a variety of services and funding to help as many people as possible.
As you may be aware, our services are primarily funded through grants and private donations. It's generous donations from people like you that allow us to...
• Dispatch trauma experts into the community to help children and adults cope with tragic events such as this and Hurricane Sandy.
• Advocate on behalf of our clients and community for expanded services and access to care.
• Hold events that educate the community on mental health care topics.
• Maintain programs for individuals who might otherwise not be able to afford it.
2012 has certainly been a year marked by turmoil and tragedy. While we are never going to know what tomorrow will bring, we can prepare ourselves by providing the care, advocacy, and educational support needed to bring our society together in a positive and healthy way.
Looking forward to 2013 gives us hope...and even greater opportunity to make recovery a reality for so many.
You may have already received our annual appeal letter and wonderful story of recovery. If you have already given, we thank you for your continued generosity. If you have not, please use this link to give what you can afford to help us continue the work we do for your Northern New Jersey community, as well as our advocacy efforts for the community at large.
My best to you for the holidays and for a new year of peace and good health.
Joseph A. Masciandaro, MA
President/CEO, Care Plus NJ, Inc.