Cost-Saving Tips When Moving to a New Home or Apartment
By Mel Fabrikant Friday, January 11, 2013, 06:17 PM EST
When moving in to a new apartment or home, many people would like to be able to spend money to re-furnish or at least upgrade a few of their existing pieces.
However, often times just the high cost of moving in and of itself doesn’t leave much extra room in your wallet.
Sharone Ben-Harosh, Founder of Unpakt, a comparison pricing site for consumers searching for a moving company, has provided Cost-Saving Tips During a Move to help you better plan for your next move and save some extra money to spend on what you really want – new pieces to freshen up your new home.
Cost-Saving Tips During a Move
• De-clutter your home before you move to help eliminate moving unnecessary items.
• Read reviews! Bad or dishonest movers can cost more in the long run by quoting you one price and sticking you with unforeseen costs at the end of your move. Unpakt.com offers reviews and price comparison all in one place to make this process easy.
• Consider purchasing insurance to protect valuables you can’t afford to replace.
• Prepare a budget so you know what you’re willing to spend.
• If you plan to pack yourself, research packing supplies so you can both estimate costs ahead of time and explore cheaper options. When researching, consider recycled boxes or rent plastic bins instead of purchasing new, cardboard boxes. Don’t buy unnecessary moving supplies – use sheets, towels or old newspapers to protect items instead of packing supplies like bubble wrap.
• Tax breaks – if your move is job-related, you may be able to deduct moving expenses depending on how you itemize your deductions.
• Measure twice, move once! If you can’t fit your couch, don’t spend money on moving it. Also assess the cost of moving the couch vs. purchasing a new one. If the difference isn’t great, consider upgrading to a new one for your new home. This can apply to many pieces in the home.
• It’s customary to tip if the movers did a good job, and snacks and beverages are also a nice gesture for the movers on long moves or especially hot days.