10 Tips for Better Health
By Mel Fabrikant Tuesday, February 05 2013 @ 06:21 PM EST
The Community Health Improvement Plan was drawn up in 2006 after a lengthy assessment of the needs of the 70 municipalities in Bergen County. People from every walk of life were asked to assist in selecting realistic and attainable goals that would benefit the physical and mental well being of the nearly one million people living here.
Individuals as well as community groups are encouraged to begin the New Year by making a commitment to the 10 tips for better health that the CHIP committee selected:
• Engage in moderate exercise for at least 30 minutes most days of the week.
• Eat five to nine servings of fruits and vegetables a day.
• Maintain or achieve desirable weight.
• Strive for open communication with your children. They will be better able to resist substance use and abuse.
• Quit smoking and talk with your children about the dangers of smoking.
• Limit alcohol use to no more than one drink a day for women or two drinks a day for men.
• Recognize that mental illness can happen to anyone and can be treated.
• Reduce unhealthy stress and recognize symptoms of depression.
• Find and use credible sources of health information.
• Call your local health department for possible sources of affordable preventative health care.
Paramus Health Officer Judith Migliaccio urges you to take advantage of hypertension and diabetes screening programs held in your community and to be aware of the positive effects that good diet and increased exercise can have on your health. Make a commitment now to good health in 2013.