Spend an evening with young, talented playwrights whose theatrical endeavors showcase the creative abilities of local students. The 21st Annual Young Playwrights Festival of Bergen County will be held at Bergen Community College on Thursday, June 6, 2013 at 8 p.m. in the Anna Maria Ciccone Theatre, 400 Paramus Road, Paramus.
The evening will begin with an awards ceremony, where the winning playwrights will receive plaques and the runners-up will receive certificates. Directed by Bergen Professor Mary Clifford, the festival will feature acting students from Bergen Community College performing the winning plays.
The performances are open to the public. Admission is free.
The winning plays scheduled for the evening’s performances and the actors performing them include:
• “Delayed,” by Lauren Henning, Bergen County Academies
o Martiza Garcia, of Fort Lee, as Ethel
o Breanna Famularo, of Garfield, as Julia
o Julio Sabangan, of Little Ferry, as Tommy
o Rob Sebes, of Ramsey, as Emmett
o Riya Bali, of Fair Lawn, as Alison
• “The Secret Place,” by Yana Abad, Bergen Community College
o Christian Palacio, of Elmwood Park, as Tree
o Justin Schumylowych, of Bogota, as Man
o T’shana Barrett, of Bloomfield, as Girl/Teenager/Lady/Old Woman
• “Five, Four, Three, Two, One,” by Rebecca Koch, Bergen County Academies
o Sarah Strickland, of Washington Township, as Leia
o Amanda Zaccone, of Clifton, as Amiee (“M’”)
o Jason Felix, of Englewood, as Chris
o Gabe Wanissian, of New Milford, as Luke
• “You’re Out,” by Lauren Gerlin, River Dell Regional High School
o Breanna Famularo, of Garfield, as Madison
o Riya Bali, of Fair Lawn, as Claire
o Amanda Zaccone, of Clifton, as Robyn
o Maritza Garcia, of Fort Lee, as Instructor
o Justin Schumylowych, of Bogota, as Owen
o Other Campers:
Julio Sabangan, of Little Ferry, as Tony
Christian Palacio, of Elmwood Park, as Sam
Gabe Wanissian, of New Milford, as Ben
Jason Felix, of Englewood, as Michael
Sarah Strickland, of Washington Township, as Chrissy
T’shana Barrett, of Bloomfield, as Erica
Rob Sebes, of Ramsey, as Jordan
• “Pocket Change,” by Nicholas Cho, Bergen County Academies
• “A Broken Home,” by Rachel Bernstein, River Dell Regional High School
• “Never Give Up on Love,” by Jenesys Bourdier, River Dell Regional High School
• “The Worthless Addiction,” by Patrick Cahill, River Dell Regional High School
• “The Unchanged Bedroom,” by David Chakansky, River Dell Regional High School
• “Sunny Day,” by Joseph Verrico, River Dell Regional High School
• “Interrogation Survival for Criminal Dummies,” by Scott Desmond, Park Ridge High School
• “The Fabbiano Family Vacation Mishap,” by Angela Sansone, Park Ridge High School
• “Time,” by Jeong Hyon Nham, Bergen Community College
Mary Clifford, a professor at Bergen Community College, initiated the Young Playwrights Festival of Bergen County. She has directed performances in educational, community, and professional theatre. At Bergen Community College, she has directed more than 30 student productions, in addition to the annual play festival. Ms. Clifford also is the founder and artistic director of The Illustrious Theatre Company in Warwick, N.Y. As a member of Actor’s Equity, Ms. Clifford has acted in Off-Broadway, regional and summer stock theatre.
For additional information, please contact Mary Clifford at (201) 447-7143 or email [email protected] .
Bergen Community College (www.bergen.edu) based in Paramus is a public two-year coeducational college, enrolling more than 17,000 students at locations in Paramus, the Philip J. Ciarco Jr. Learning Center in Hackensack and Bergen Community College at the Meadowlands in Lyndhurst. The College offers associate degree, certificate and continuing education programs in a variety of fields.