Pathway’s cat rescue program was initiated one summer’s night, when a litter of hungry kittens came begging at my family’s dinner table at an outdoor restaurant. The kittens were fed well that night and became the first feral cats that Pathway rescued and rehomed. Since that night, Pathway has devoted its cat rescue program to rescuing stray and feral cats, focusing on those most in need – cats who are injured, ignored, feral and “unadoptable.”
While we have been extremely successful in finding wonderful barn home placements for outdoor and feral cats, we have been unlucky in finding forever homes for our adoptable cats and kittens. Our foster homes are full, and there never seem to be enough adoptive homes, even for the most adoptable of kittens. Unfortunately, even our barn homes are all full, meaning that our program is currently at a standstill. We are truly at a climax for our cat rescue program, and we need support to maintain this essential program.
We have placed ten cats in indoor adoptive homes in the last year, while we have been able to rescue and rehome as barn cats and sponsor over a hundred cats. We have taken in a dozen pregnant stray cats plus twenty cats with disease, illness and serious injuries. We have spent large amounts of money rescuing, feeding, comforting seriously ill cats and, when there is not hope for recovery, humanely euthanizing them. What this means for Pathway is that our adoption income is less than $1,000, while our expenses are in the tens of thousands.
Our cat program is barely staying afloat. We squeeze the funds from wherever we can, and we implore the public for donations to help us maintain a program that is so desperately needed for these poor, injured and forgotten cats. We respond to every call or email in need of help for a stray or feral cat, and we can never turn our backs when we see a hungry mouth.
We need your help. A Pathway to Hope has many adoptable kittens and adult cats. Do you have room in your family and your heart for one of these beautiful cats? Do you know anyone looking to adopt?
A Pathway to Hope has 5 terminally ill cats waiting for a sanctuary placement and approximately thirty cats we have been asked to help that are outdoors, in danger of being hit by cars, dying of starvation, being poisoned or killed at the hands of menacing neighbors. Every week we wait, we another cat is killed or disappears. We need to move fast, but we need short term foster homes during spay / neuter recovery (1 week), barn homes for cats in need of relocation and donations to fund spay / neuter surgeries. Please support our program with donations of wet and dry food, large crates and cat carrier. Monetary donations are always desperately needed so that we can say yes when we get the call that another sick or injured cat has been found.
What can you do to help?
1. ADOPT! Visit www.apathwaytohope.org to see our adoptable kittens and cats and apply to adopt. Contact us to set up a meet and greet, or attend one of our local events.
2. If you live in a location where you can safely care for an outdoor feral or stray cat, please contact [email protected]
3. Donate cat food or supplies. Contact us for a nearby drop off location you can leave donations at Jake’s Place at Rockledge Garden Center, 1621 Hamburg Turnpike in Wayne. You can also donate via A Pathway to Hope’s wish list on Amazon.
4. Foster a cat for just 7 days (all supplies provided) so that we can trap, spay / neuter and release feral cats that have a safe place to stay.
5. Donate online*: http://www.apathwaytohope.org
6. Donate by mail*: A Pathway to Hope, PO Box 165, Hawthorne, NJ 07507
7. Spread the word. Share our stories on Facebook or contact us to hang fliers locally.
Our newest rescued kittens are just tiny babies. They will never have to see and experience the hunger of those that came before them. Show them that the world is a more caring place, and open your hearts to a cat in need.
*A Pathway to Hope is a non-profit rescue organization for dogs and cats. Your donation is tax-deductible: Tax Exempt 501(c)(3) Organization 27-4036880.