Top Thursday Assembly Hearings
By Mel Fabrikant Monday, February 03 2014 @ 06:52 PM EST
Gun Safety Legislation, Police Vehicle Cameras, Sandy Victim Bill of Rights, Consumer Protections & Homeowner Association Reforms
Hearings on Economic Development, Banking Industry, Health Care Reform & Higher Education Readiness Also on Tap
Legislation to criminalize the use of a defaced or stolen firearm to injure a police officer and enhance penalties for defacing a firearm, require police vehicles to be equipped with cameras, enhance consumer protections and reform how homeowner associations operate top Thursday Assembly committee hearings.
Hearings on economic development, the banking industry, health care reform and higher education readiness are also on tap.
The hearings are scheduled to start at 10 a.m. and will be streamed live at:
• A823 (Mainor/Johnson) - Establishes "MarcAnthony's Law;" criminalizes use of defaced or stolen firearm to injure a police officer; enhances penalties for defacing a firearm. 2 p.m. Law and Public Safety.
• A2280 (Moriarty/Mainor/Fuentes/Mosquera/Lampitt) - Requires certain police vehicles to be equipped with cameras. 2 p.m. Law and Public Safety.
• A628 (Moriarty/Diegnan) - Requires printers to display average cost per 1,000 printed pages and ink cartridges to display yield. 10 a.m. Consumer Affairs.
• A818 (Coughlin/Wisniewski) - Establishes the Superstorm Sandy Victims' Bill of Rights. 2 p.m. Housing and Local Government.
• A625 (Moriarty/Vainieri Huttle) - Prohibits certain unsolicited checks. 10 a.m. Consumer Affairs.
• A1881 (Burzichelli/Riley/Diegnan) - Consumer Credit Fairness Act. 10 a.m. Consumer Affairs.
• A2444 (Caputo/Singleton/Vainieri Huttle/Burzichelli) - Allows person to request voluntary exclusion from gaming activities without acknowledging being problem gambler. 10 a.m. Tourism and Gaming.
• A204 (Gusciora/Vainieri Huttle) - Naturally Occurring Retirement Community program. 2 p.m. Housing and Local Government.
• A347 [Caputo/Prieto) - Foreclosed properties - concerns maintenance. 2 p.m. Housing and Local Government.
• A469 (Green/Riley) - Homeowners' association concerns membership and management. 2 p.m. Housing and Local Government.
• The Assembly Commerce and Economic Development Committee will hold a 2 p.m. hearing on the future of economic development in New Jersey.
• The Assembly Financial Institutions and Insurance Committee will hold a 10 a.m. hearing on the general condition of the banking industry in New Jersey.
• The Assembly Health and Senior Services Committee will hold a 10 a.m. hearing on issues regarding public outreach and enrollment efforts in connection with the Affordable Care Act, including the role and experiences of health care navigators and application assisters in the state.
• The Assembly Higher Education Committee will hold a 10:30 a.m. hearing on issues related to the readiness of students to enroll in institutions of higher education and assessing the programs designed to prepare those students for success in college.