Hello Paramus Weight- Loss Challenger,
Welcome to week 2! The majority of people are losing and some maintaining! Great job everyone! Remember to weigh in this week if you didn’t last week.
This week, we are going to discuss eating right for weight- loss. More often than not, adjusting our portions and adding more fruit, vegetables and fiber to our meals play an important part in weight loss. According to the USDA’s Choose My Plate Website, a good way to make sure you are getting enough fruits and vegetables is to make half of your plate fruits and vegetables. The USDA recommends that we enjoy our foods, but eat less and avoid oversized portions. Here are some of their other tips for controlling portions…
• Measure how much the bowls, glasses, cups and plates you usually use hold. Pour your breakfast cereal into your regular bowl. Next, pour it into a measuring cup. How many cups of cereal do you eat each day? Do this with some of your other food and drinks in the glasses and plates you usually use. For example, what does 1 cup of your favorite drink look like in your favorite glass?
• To see what 1 cup, ½ cup, or 1 ounce of some different foods look like, visit http://www.choosemyplate.gov/food-groups/grains.html and see some of the foods you eat in each group.
• Prepare, serve, and eat smaller portions of food. Start by portioning out small amounts to eat and drink. Only go back for more if you are still hungry.
• Pay attention to feelings of hunger. Stop eating when you are satisfied, not full. If there is food on your plate or on the table, put it away (or throw it out).
• A simple trick to help you eat less is to use a smaller plate, bowl or glass. One cup of food on a small plate looks like more than the same cup of food on a large plate.
On a personal note, I recommend planning ahead. For example, on Sunday evening as you prepare dinner, take a few minutes to cut up some carrots and celery for the week and put them in individual containers. When you leave for work during the week, just grab a container to go and you have a healthy snack to munch on to help get you through the day. Consider making some extra of your favorite healthy dinner and bring the leftovers to work for a healthy delicious lunch! A good way to make sure you have leftovers is to make the leftover container before serving the meal.
Rewards for Results- Did you reach your goals this week? If so reward yourself! This week’s reward idea- A new portion sized plate to eat from and remind you to stay on track. Check out portion plates on Amazon.com, healthedco.com or just treat yourself to a nice set of smaller salad plates to use for meals. Remember to portion out your drinks as well, plenty of water, smaller sweetened drinks!
Don't forget this weeks classes... We hope you can attend!
Tuesday, April 1 at 7 p.m. at the Municipal Court Room, 1 Jockish Square, Paramus
Food & Fitness: Fuel Your Workout- Learn how to build energy before your workout, and what nutrients you need during, and after your workout. Presented by Danielle Cinnante, MS, CHES, Health Educator, The Valley Hospital. To register please call 201-291-6467 or email me.
Saturday, April 5th at 1 p.m.is Family Zumba at Gold's Gym. This class is free to challengers and their family but please RSVP to email@example.com
Any questions or concerns about this email or the weight-loss challenge, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Jasalyn K. DeRyke, CHES
The Valley Hospital
223 North Van Dien Avenue
Ridgewood, NJ 07450