Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, & Questioning (LGBTQ) Youth: Clinical Issues & Cultural Awareness
By Mel Fabrikant Friday, June 06 2014 @ 02:41 PM EDT
Monday, June 23rd - 9:30 - 11:30 am
2 Clinical CEUs to meet Ethics & Cultural Competency requirements!
This workshop will provide an overview of the Cass "Coming Out" Model, methods on how to communicate with LGBTQ youth regarding mental health and suicide prevention, cultural issues within the LGBTQ youth population, and resources for LGBTQ youth and their families.
When: Monday, June 23, 2014, 9:30 - 11:30 am
Where: CarePlus Headquarters, Paramus
Expert Presenters: Jamisin ("Jamie") Saracino, MA
and Sue Heguy, LCSW
Attendees will receive 2 clinical CEUs for this workshop
Reminder: licenses expire in August!
The CEUs earned from this workshop meet ethics and cultural competency requirements.
What you will learn...
- An in-depth understanding of LGBTQ issues related to youth.
- A better of understanding of how to respond to the needs of their LGBTQ youth in their personal or professional care.
- How to respond when a youth "comes out".
- How to have healthy conversations about sexual and gender identity.
- How to work with LGBTQ youth in building their resiliency and/or protective factors.
- Support resources specific to the needs of LGBTQ youth and how to access them.
You should attend if you...
- Interact regularly with youth age 12-18.
- Are a teacher, coach, mentor, juvenile justice professional, hospital staff member, nurse, medical or mental health professional, faith leader, or community leader.
The Expert Presenters...
Jamisin ("Jamie") Saracino, MA and Sue Heguy, LCSW are both members of the CarePlus clinical team and Certified instructors of Mental Health First Aid for adults and youth.
In addition to clinical work, Saracino provides educational trainings in Bullying Prevention Awareness, Suicide Prevention Awareness, and LGBTQ Cultural Competency. She also facilitates the CarePlus LGBTQ Adolescent Wellness and Support Group A.L.L.I.E.S., a safe space for young participants to process such topics as peer conflict, bullying, healthy relationships, personal wellness, and advocacy.
As a full-time Clinical Supervisor at CarePlus, Heguy provides school clearance assessments and treats children and families with trauma, depression, anxiety, and disruptive symptoms. She is also a Trauma Specialist, certified in PFA/PTSM TII/CBI for post-vention response after a traumatic incident and an EMDR trained therapist, and serves as the Bergen County Coordinator of the Traumatic Loss Coalition. Read more...
For more information, call 201-797-2660 ext 110.
Care Plus NJ, Inc.
610 Valley Health Plaza, Paramus, New Jersey 07652