ShopRite Stores Celebrate with Free Samples and Cooking Demos
Keasbey, NJ -- (March 2016) -- ShopRite is pleased to announce they will be participating in Whole Grain Sampling Day, an annual event organized by the Whole Grains Council to educate consumers about the nutritional benefits of whole grains. The event is scheduled to take place at select ShopRite locations on Wednesday, March 30, 2016.“We’ve always known that whole grains are an important and delicious part of a balanced diet,” says Natalie Menza, Manager of Health and Wellness at ShopRite, the largest supermarket cooperative in the country with more than 250 stores in the northeast. “We’re really excited that this day gives us the opportunity to not only inspire our customers about all the great whole grains that are available, but also helps shoppers discover unique ways to incorporate healthy grains into their favorite recipes.”
For those unable to attend a Whole Grain Sampling Day event, the ShopRite Health and Wellness team has compiled some easy suggestions on how to incorporate more whole grains into your diet:
- Add brown rice, barley or quinoa to soup or chili. This adds excellent texture as well as makes the meal more filling and hearty.
- Use as a salad topping. Most people think of vegetables, meat and croutons as salad toppings but grains such as rice pilaf, quinoa salad, tabbouleh, or farro make a great addition to any salad.
- Use oats instead of breadcrumbs. Try using rolled oats in place of breadcrumbs in your meatballs or burger recipes.
- Have popcorn as a snack. Yes, popcorn is a whole grain! Aim for air popped popcorn to cut down on fat and sodium and have a delicious high fiber snack.
- Try using half whole wheat flour, half white flour in your baked goods. Breads, pancakes, muffins, cookies can all be done with half wheat flour and will still taste great!
To find a ShopRite store hosting a Whole Grain Sampling Day event near you, visit http://www.shoprite.com/health-events/
ShopRite is the registered trademark of Wakefern Food Corp., a retailer-owned cooperative based in Keasbey, NJ, and the largest supermarket cooperative in the United States. With more than 250 ShopRite supermarkets located throughout New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Connecticut, Delaware and Maryland, ShopRite serves more than six million customers each week. A long-time supporter of key community efforts, ShopRite is dedicated to fighting hunger in the communities it serves. Through its ShopRite Partners In Caring program, ShopRite has donated more than $39 million to 1,700 worthy charities and food banks since the program began in 1999. For more information, please visit www.ShopRite.com.