Discounted Tickets Available for IKEA FAMILY* Members
CONSHOHOCKEN, Pa. – As summer comes to an end, IKEA will host its annual Swedish Crayfish Party – an all-you-can-eat crayfish buffet – on Friday, September 16 at participating stores nationwide**. The Crayfish Party is a Swedish tradition that dates back to the 1800’s, when crayfish fishing was limited to August and September. To celebrate the beginning of crayfish fishing season, families and friends would host late summer parties – gathering in paper hats and colorful crayfish-themed bibs – to enjoy good food and good company amongst the sound of music and clinking classes.
This season, IKEA is inviting everyone to join in the fun! Tickets are available for $18.99 per person / $4.99 for kids 12 and under, or at a discounted rate for IKEA FAMILY* members ($14.99 per person / $2.99 for kids 12 and under), for an all-you-can-eat buffet featuring crayfish, cucumber salad and more.
“In Sweden, the Crayfish Party or ‘kräftskiva’ is a loved and celebrated food tradition,” said Patricia Meumann, IKEA Food Manager. “We look forward to sharing our Swedish heritage with our customers in a fun and festive way.”
The IKEA Crayfish Party menu*** includes:
- Tossed green salad
- Cucumber salad
- Hardboiled eggs with mayo and shrimp
- Rhode Island salad with crayfish
- Najad salmon with horseradish sauce
- Gravad lax with mustard sauce
- Crispbread, crisprolls, soft bread, thin bread
- Assorted Swedish cheeses
- Meatballs with lingonberries
- Mashed potatoes or boiled dill new potatoes
- Strawberry crumble tart
- Cookies and assorted desserts
- Coffee, tea, fountain beverages
Seating is limited, so those who are interested are encouraged to purchase tickets early at their local IKEA store. To locate and contact the nearest IKEA store for more details, including local seating times, visit the “Store Locator” page on www.IKEA-USA.com and enter your city/state or zip code.
Those not able to make it to the event can still enjoy the festivities at home! Visit the Swedish Food Market in IKEA U.S. stores to explore, find and try ingredients for Swedish recipes such as traditional cheese pie.
Ingredients & Supplies (Serves 6)
- 1¼ cup shredded IKEA OST PRÄST® (semi-hard cheese)
- 3 tbsp. fresh chopped dill
- 1¼ cup wheat flour
- 4 eggs
- 10 tbsp. butter
- 3 tbsp. water
- 5 oz. heavy cream
- 7 tbsp. chopped chives
- Ground black pepper
- Mix butter and wheat flour. Add water and quickly work into a dough. Leave to cool for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Roll out the dough to fit the size of your pie dish (preferably 8–9" in diameter). Fold the dough about ½" in around the edge so that it does not slide down during baking. To let the steam out during baking, poke holes in the bottom of the dough using a fork.
- Pre-bake the dough at 350°F for 15–20 minutes.
- Mix egg, cheese, cream, chopped chives and dill. Add salt and pepper.
- Pour the filling in the pie dish and bake for another 25–30 minutes.
*IKEA FAMILY is a benefits program that offers membership perks including special product discounts, sneak previews, free coffee and tea in the IKEA Restaurant, and more. Consumers can sign up for the free program online or in-store.
**IKEA Carson will not be participating/will not be hosting a Crayfish Party event.
***Menu is subject to change due to product availability.
Since its 1943 founding in Sweden, IKEA has offered home furnishings of good design and function at low prices so the majority of people can afford them. There are currently more than 385 IKEA stores in 48 countries, including 42 in the U.S. IKEA incorporates sustainability into day-to-day business and supports initiatives that benefit children and the environment. For more information, see IKEA-USA.com, @IKEAUSANews, @IKEAUSA or IKEAUSA on Facebook, YouTube, Instagram and Pinterest.