St. Joseph’s Healthcare System Kicks-off Sesquicentennial Celebration
PATERSON, NJ [September 19, 2016] – St. Joseph’s Healthcare System, New Jersey’s premier Catholic healthcare system, launched a year-long series of 150th Anniversary celebrations on Thursday, September 8th with the unveiling of a historic marker to commemorate the humble beginnings of St. Joseph’s Hospital.
Paterson’s first hospital, now known as St. Joseph’s Regional Medical Center, a member of the Healthcare System, was established by the Sisters of Charity of Saint Elizabeth on September 8, 1867, in response to the industrialized City’s dire need for care… body, mind and spirit.
The founding group of sisters cared for 102 patients that first year, establishing and setting in motion an unwavering mission and commitment to community service for which St. Joseph’s is nationally recognized. St. Joseph’s Regional Medical Center now cares for more than 1.5 million people annually, including more than 163,000 emergency department visits.
“The Sisters of Charity of Saint Elizabeth have proudly sponsored St. Joseph’s since 1867,” said Sister Marilyn Thie, SC, Chairwoman of the Board of Trustees, St. Joseph’s Healthcare System, of the faith-based healing ministry. “That beginning has mushroomed into a highly regarded healthcare system this many years later.”
“Past generations and future generations should find comfort in knowing that the St. Joseph’s commitment to compassionate and quality health care hasn’t changed since the day it opened and won’t change as we look to the future. We always have, and always will, strive to be true to the Mission and Values of our Sponsors, the Sisters of Charity of Saint Elizabeth as we have since 1867,” said Kevin J. Slavin, President and Chief Executive Officer, St. Joseph’s Healthcare System.
“St. Joseph’s is one of the greatest jewels in the Diocese of Paterson crown. We are fortunate to have St. Joseph’s here in Paterson. Thank you for the miracles you work here each day. Keep working the miracles of healing for the next 150 years,” said Rev. Msgr. Herbert Tillyer, on behalf of the Diocese of Paterson.
The Honorable Jose Torres, Mayor of the City of Paterson, saluted the hospital and healthcare system, and presented The Mayor’s Award for outstanding civic contributions to the Paterson community. He added, “St. Joseph’s Healthcare System is appropriately named after St. Joseph the Carpenter, a building and driving force of faith. St. Joseph’s Healthcare System and the Sisters of Charity represent that for the City.”
A Letter of Special Congressional Recognition commending St. Joseph’s Healthcare System on its immense contributions to the healthcare of the State of New Jersey was presented to Mr. Slavin on behalf of Congressman Bill Pascrell, Jr.
The historic marker, unveiled by Mr. Slavin and Sr. Marilyn Thie, SC, was blessed by Msgr. Tillyer, Sr. Marilyn Thie and Sr. Patricia Mennor, SC, Vice President, Mission at St. Joseph’s Healthcare System. The marker, which will be placed on the original location of St. Joseph’s Hospital on Church Street, between Ellison and Market Streets, reads:
St. Joseph’s Hospital was founded at this Church Street location
on September 8, 1867. Sponsored by the Sisters of Charity of Saint Elizabeth,
they tirelessly tended to the city’s ill, injured and poor in the 12-bed wooden structure.
This marker recognizes the 150 years that St. Joseph’s, now St. Joseph’s Regional Medical Center, a member of St. Joseph’s Healthcare System, and located at 703 Main Street, Paterson, has served the healthcare needs of its community.
Celebrating 150 Years
Commitment to a Healthier Community
An Inspired Tradition of Service Excellence
Founded by the Sisters of Charity of Saint Elizabeth in 1867, St. Joseph’s Hospital – one of the first hospitals in New Jersey – opened its arms to the community in a small wooden house on Church Street in Paterson. Fr. William McNulty asked Mother Mary Xavier, General Superior of the Sisters of Charity of Saint Elizabeth to send sisters to Paterson to tend the sick. In response, Mother Xavier sent Sr. Anne Cecelia Hartnett and four other Sisters to begin the new ministry. The Sisters, with the support of volunteers, cared for those in desperate need, including many new immigrants, who were the industrialized city’s ill, the injured, the hungry poor. A year later, the Fonda Farm on Main Street (the current site of St. Joseph’s Regional Medical Center) was purchased and the future of that band of pioneering Sisters…and all of Northern New Jersey was forever changed.
Each passing year brought innovations as St. Joseph’s improved and expanded the healthcare resources available to area residents. Before the turn of the Century, St. Joseph’s offered a dispensary, maternity unit and pathology laboratory. A radiology department was established in 1902. Buildings and wings were added during nearly a dozen expansion efforts in the 20th Century. Along with these projects came trendsetting medical and surgical procedures in every specialty field and a variety of academic programs – all to benefit the health care needs of our pediatric and adult patients – the hospital’s community. Nothing held back progress as St. Joseph’s sought to provide a full range of services that equaled and readily eclipsed those in New York Metropolitan hospitals.
Over the years, St. Joseph’s Hospital has grown in size and scope of service and is now recognized as New Jersey’s premier Catholic healthcare system, St. Joseph’s Healthcare System, which encompasses St. Joseph’s Regional Medical Center and St. Joseph’s Children’s Hospital, St. Joseph’s Wayne Hospital, St. Vincent’s Healthcare and Rehab Center, Visiting Health Services of New Jersey, and a spectrum of outpatient centers across Northern New Jersey.
The longstanding tradition of service excellence, rooted in nearly a century and a half of outstanding achievements, remains unwavering. Each service is offered with a strong commitment to the Mission, Vision and Values set forth by the Sisters of Charity of Saint Elizabeth.
St. Joseph’s Healthcare System proudly offers technically advanced clinical services, including ambulatory and community health services, behavioral health services, cardiology, emergency/trauma services, medicine, neurosciences, oncology, orthopedics, pediatrics, rehabilitation services, surgical services and women’s services. Today, St. Joseph’s Healthcare System is the provider of choice in the region, the largest provider of charity care in the State and the largest employer in Passaic County.
As an organization, St. Joseph’s is defined by nearly 150 years of service excellence, by the Sisters of Charity of Saint Elizabeth who inspire its culture of caring, commitment and service to community, and by the expertise and experience that contribute to the organization’s legacy. St. Joseph’s Healthcare System’s vision remains clear; its mission unchanged.
New Jersey’s premier Catholic healthcare system, St. Joseph’s Healthcare System is a nationally recognized major academic comprehensive health care organization sponsored by its founders, the Sisters of Charity of Saint Elizabeth since 1867. To learn more about the spectrum of leading edge services and compassionate care available at St. Joseph’s, visit www.StJosephsHealth.org.Photo Caption:
L-R: Sr. Patricia Mennor, SC, Vice President, Mission, St. Joseph’s Healthcare System (SJHS); Jose Torres, Mayor of the City of Paterson; Sr. Marilyn Thie, SC, Chairwoman, the Board of Trustees, SJHS; Kevin Slavin, President & CEO, SJHS; Rev. Msgr. Herbert Tillyer, representing the Diocese of Paterson; and William McKoy, Paterson City Council President with the 150th Anniversary Commemorative Marker.