The Lenni Lenape Indians gave this land its name. One of the earliest written versions of the name in 1708 called it Parames. Later it was referred to as Perampsus. Experts on the Lenni Lenape language say that Perampsus means literally "where there is worthwhile or fertile land". Where there was fertile land, maize or corn was grown and wild turkeys were also found in abundance. Thus, the meaning of Paramus . . . "A fertile land where corn was grown attracting wild turkeys".
On April 4, 1922, the Borough was incorporated. For additional history and facts on Paramus, the following books are available at the Paramus Public Library: Paramus a Chronicle of Two Centuries, Frederick W. Bogert, 50th Anniversary Commemorative Journal 1922-1972 and Paramus, New Jersey, and Applied Natural Resource Inventory. Fritz Behnke's book, "Paramus, The Way We Were" is also available and can be purchased by contacting Fritz Behnke at 201-261-7095.